Among the questions that Per Hjertstrand tries to answer with his research:
- Is it possible to test whether firms maximize profits and minimize costs? If so, how are these hypotheses tested?
- If it can be tested, does data show that firms efficiently maximize profits and minimize costs?
- How to test if individuals/households maximize utility when consuming goods and services?
- Does data show that individuals/households efficiently maximize utility?
- What kind of information and how much information about the preferences of individuals, households and firms can be found in consumption and production data?